Wednesday, August 1, 2007

All You Can Eat… If You Like Garbage!



I know I blog about this on every trip, but I just think it’s hilarious. Detail #1: See, here in India, people toss pretty much all their garbage on the ground (paper, plastic, glass, bio, whatever). Detail #2: Also, cattle and other livestock are allowed to simply roam free throughout streets, alleyways, yards, wherever. Sooooo then, if you put detail #1 with detail #2, what you get is herds of cattle that simply gather at trash piles ad hoc and feast on the mounds of garbage that collect by wind or dumping. Having grown up in Arkansas, I’m used to seeing cattle. What I’m usually surprised to see is said bovine creatures munching on a pop-bottle wrapper rather than lime-sprinkled hay. Nevertheless, the cattle don’t seem to complain, and in the long run, the garbage gets… uh… “recycled”.

No comments: